Detailed summary for FIS1:
Protein involved in mitochondrial membrane fission and peroxisome abundance; required for localization of Dnm1p and Mdv1p during mitochondrial division; mediates ethanol-induced apoptosis and ethanol-induced mitochondrial fragmentation
Upon the apoptotic stimuli of acetic acid and hydrogen peroxide, Fis1 inhibits Dnm1- and Mdv1-mediated mitochondrial fission and cell death, indicating a prosurvival function for Fis1 and a proapoptotic function for Dnm1 and Mdv1 during cell death
- Fannjiang, Y., et al. (2004) Mitochondrial fission proteins regulate programmed cell death in yeast, Genes Dev, 18, 2785-2797.
- Frohlich, K.U., Fussi, H. and Ruckenstuhl, C. (2007) Yeast apoptosis--from genes to pathways, Semin Cancer Biol, 17, 112-121.
- Kitagaki, H., et al. (2007) Ethanol-induced death in yeast exhibits features of apoptosis mediated by mitochondrial fission pathway, FEBS Lett, 581, 2935-2942.
- Cheng, W.C., et al. (2008) Fis1 deficiency selects for compensatory mutations responsible for cell death and growth control defects, Cell Death Differ, 15, 1838-1846.
- Carmona-Gutierrez, D., et al. (2010) Apoptosis in yeast: triggers, pathways, subroutines, Cell Death Differ, 17, 763-773.
- Bink, A., et al. (2010) A fungicidal piperazine-1-carboxamidine induces mitochondrial fission-dependent apoptosis in yeast, FEMS Yeast Res, 10, 812-818.